Thursday, August 30, 2007

¿Desear intentar tu mano que lucha Ganado?

Translation: Want to try your hand fighting Ganado?

I did just that a couple days ago.

I rented Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition.

Was it worth it? Well, I'll tell you now.

This won't be a full review of RE4 - rather, I'll focus on the changes and additions for the Wii edition.

First off, I'll start with the controls. They're /very/ smooth, but do take some getting used to - I was performing smooth headshots with ease less than 5 minutes into the game.

Of course, the fact that you aim by pointing the Wiimote at the screen makes things /much/ easier than the GCN or PS2 versions. So much so that I found I could defeat most reasonably tough enemies (like the chainsaw Ganado) faster and easier than with a standard controller.

Graphics are about the same as the GCN version - if there were any differences I didn't notice.

As I mentioned above, gameplay is smooth. Although I /do/ have a few nitpickings about the menu systems, like I again said above, you get used to it all after a few minutes.

One nice addition is the fact that the red targeting dot has been replaced with a round reticle. When not aiming, it is simply gray. When aiming, it's green unless you're aiming at a possible target.

Although the red laser sight was cool, it was kind of hard to aim, and you never knew what you could shoot at until you did, often resulting with wasted ammo.

That said, let's move on to the new bonus features.

I didn't try Mercenary mode much, since by that time my rental time was up, but it was interesting enough, suppose, if you like onslaughts of enemies coming at you all at once. It can get stale after a while, though.

Seperate Ways, exclusive to Wii, was probably my favorite unlockable, as it covers Ada Wong's actions in the background of the game. It explains why certain things happen when in the normal game mode, and is very entertaining (plus, who /doesn't/ want to play as Ada?).

For example, when Leon (the game's main protagonist) solves a puzzle in the church graveyard to obtain a 'green cats eye', the thing that struck me was that the location of said puzzle and reward was rather odd; why not put a key here instead? So when Ada happens across this same spot (before Leon), and removes the key to the church, she gets locked in the area. The only way to open the gate is to place the gem in the slot.

Unfortunately, I also didn't get to try Assignment Ada, or the new character costumes for your second play through. Hopefully next time, though!

My final score: 9/10 - the game pulls everything together tightly, but is missing some nice but not necessary features.

For those who have never played RE4, or any Resident Evil title in general, I highly recommend this edition of the game.

Until next time; Ciao! ;)

2 comments:

Kaboodleschmitt said...

It sounds quite good indeed O_o

Multiplayer, perchance?

Vertimyst™ said...

Unfortunately, no. :/

Possibly with RE5, though, but I think that's a PS3 exclusive.