Monday, May 19, 2008

Which Distro to Choose, Part 2

So after my little adventure with openSUSE, I decided to go back to good ol' Ubuntu.

Why? Because it's known territory; I've become as comfortable with Ubuntu as I am with Windows (that is, I know my way around very well). But after a while I felt the urge to go and explore new distros.

So off I went, back to my little thread I had started on the Ubuntu forums regarding recommended KDE distros.

Seeing some new replies, I read them. I was pointed to a survey which was supposed to recommend a good distro for me. I tried it. Of the choices I got, I thought Fedora 9 and Mandriva Spring 2008 looked interesting, so I downloaded both. I used KTorrent to do so, and I marvelled at how beautiful its KDE4 interface was, so I paused my Mandriva download, and finished my Fedora download (Fedora 9 supports KDE4 by default).

Fedora installation went smoothly, but I noticed with great annoyance that I was going to be dumped in Gnome. After looking around, however, I didn't really mind - Fedora's Gnome offering is very fast, and I rather liked it. I still wanted myKDE4, though, so I googled to see what I did wrong.

I discovered that I needed to specify advanced program setup during installation, and choose KDE from there. I think, in future, the Fedora devs should give the users a choice of desktop environment by default, instead of in advanced settings.

Once in KDE4, I felt like my computer was extremely bloated, and I was instantly reminded of Vista. I also found it to be very sluggish, a huge contrast compared to Fedora's Gnome. I still liked the Oxygen theme, though. I guess KDE4 still isn't really ready for everyone.

So I booted back into Ubuntu, and finished my Mandriva download. After burning and booting, I was presented with a surprisingly fast (for a live-cd) desktop. I checked it out for a couple minutes, and decided I definitely wanted to install.

So I launched the installation wizard, which was very nice; the installation only took about what seemed like a few minutes.

Partitioning was interesting; but very easy after I figured out how the partitioner worked. Once I had finished setting up my partitions, installation finished up, and I was told to reboot.

After doing so, I created a new user, configured my time zone, and then a new screen came up, asking me to register and complete an optional survey.

I did so, but after submitting the survey, I was presented with a bunch of russian text. Thinking I had somehow reset my language preferences back on the registration page, I went back a step. This presented me with the survey - in German.

Thoroughly baffled, I went back another page. Now I was at the registration step again, in English. So I tried registering, but was told my account already existed. So I tried logging in, and was told I provided an incorrect password.

I tried every password I could think of, even purposely putting in the wrong combinations, to no avail.

So I tried resetting my password. This seemed to work (I tried logging in from the Mandriva website), but entering my password in the install still didn't work. So I tried resetting one more time, this time using a different password - this worked, oddly enough.

So I finally got past the registration and survey, and the strange language mixup. I have no idea how that happened. O.o

Once in Mandriva's KDE desktop, I started playing around. And now, after a few hours of said playing, I must say I am very pleased. Mandriva is an excellent distro, with MP3 and flash support enabled by default. I have yet to try watching a DVD movie, though.

My quest for distributions hasn't ended here, though. I'll continue to try a few more, but I think I'm happy with Ubuntu and Mandriva. :)

2 comments:

damian said...

I'm glad you find something you like. I think Mandriva it's great, even if I don't have it installed in my computer.

But I suggest you to try Linux Mint KDE version, or be patient and wait for the new version that it's coming soon.

Or try the gnome version of Linux Mint which is an hybrid between KDE and Gnome and that may suit you as well.

Vertimyst™ said...

Thanks for commenting.

I've tried Mint (gnome version) and I liked it, but I've since gone back to Ubuntu. I may try the KDE version at some point, though.